We live in such a busy world. We are constantly in the hurry, juggle between work, family and friends and always try to keep up with hectic schedules. How many time have you just come home and went straight to bed because you were too exhausted? The stressful lifestyle we live nowadays can be quite harmful for our physical and mental health. Luckily, there’s a way to turn things around and it you don’t have to pay for it. Instead, you should practice mindfulness and find joy in the journey towards serenity, peace, and relaxation.
To most people, overall health and wellbeing are associated with physical health i.e. if there are no aches and pains, you’re okay. However, mental health is equally important. Here are just some, of many reasons, why you should never ignore mental health:
- It has a direct impact onto physical health – e.g. mental distress influences immunity system, impairs your sleep patterns, appetite etc.
- Good mental health is associated with improved productivity and financial stability
- It’s key factor for healthy relationship with family, friends, coworkers, and significant other
- It’s crucial for happy and healthy life.
Practicing mindfulness is an excellent way to improve your mental health, reduce stress, and feel more relaxed, open-minded, and carefree.
Mindfulness and physical health
Although the term “mindfulness” makes you assume it only has something to do with your mind, it has a big effect on your physical health as well. Journal of American College Health study conducted by Murphy M. J. of the Ohio University conducted a study which revealed that mindfulness is related to positive physical health.
Mindfulness is beneficial for your physical health in number of ways such as:
- Treats heart disease
- Lowers blood pressure
- Reduces chronic pain
- Improves sleep
- Alleviates gastrointestinal difficulties.
High stress levels can significantly affect your physical health and increase risk for a wide array of diseases which is why experts always recommend finding unique ways to manage stress. Mindfulness is an excellent way to tackle stress and thus improve both physical and mental health at the same time, which is another proof that mental health is as important as physical.
How to be mindful
You found mindfulness inspiring and want to be more mindful but don’t know how? These tips can help you:
- Take a few minutes to focus on your breathing from flow of the breath to the rise and fall of the belly. Try not to think about anything else but your breathing.
- Single-task not multitask as multitasking can decrease your productivity and increase your stress levels.
- Spend at least 5 minutes a day doing nothing.
- Notice what you are doing while you’re doing it i.e. pay attention to everything you do even when you’re eating; notice colors, textures, smells, environment. Try to absorb every moment, it will give you a new perspective for all aspects of life.
- Recognize that thoughts are thoughts and you don’t necessarily have to react to them or believe them. This is particularly beneficial if you have negative thoughts about yourself.
- Get enough sleep.
- Meditate and practice yoga.
Being mindful is an excellent way to work on your physical and mental health. In fact, mindfulness helps you understand that your body and mind are a unity and it helps you keep this unique symbiotic relationship healthy.